Mumbai police arrest bikers who stalked media professional at 1 am

Clifford Samuel Sushi Amana and Sagar Nawal Singh have been booked for stalking Asira Tarannum in the wee hours yesterday

Women in the city can take comfort in the knowledge that the Mumbai Police aren't taking stalking incidents lightly. A day after mid-day reported how two men on a scooter chased media professional Asira Tarannum in the wee hours of the night, the Amboli police swung into action and arrested two collegians for the harassment. 

Also Read: Mumbai Crime: Woman harassed by bikers, guided safely home by cops

Former encounter specialist Daya Nayak's team arrested Clifford Samuel Sushi Amana, 25, a TYBSc-IT student and SYBCom student Sagar Nawal Singh, 21, after an FIR was registered late last night. Mumbai police spokesperson and DCP Rashmi Karandikar confirmed the development.

Accused Sagar Nawal Singh
Accused Sagar Nawal Singh

"Both the accused have been booked under Sections 354 D (stalking) and 34 (common intention) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC)," an official from the Amboli police said.

On August 17, mid-day had reported how the Mumbai Police had helped 25-year-old Tarannum escape her stalkers, who followed her autorickshaw for 3 kms from Chitrakoot Grounds in Andheri West. She was returning around 1 am after a late night assignment. The duo had allegedly also passed lewd comments. While Tarannum had shared a photograph of the accused (left), it was of little help as the number plate wasn't visible.

However, last evening, Nayak, who is currently posted at Amboli police station, reached out to Tarannum and asked her to visit the police station and an FIR was filed. Following the written complaint, the police stepped into action, and Amana and Singh were arrested from Andheri's Marol area.

Asira Tarannum

Tarannum said, "After mid-day reported the incident, I was called to Amboli police station. The police wished to investigate the incident further. They have made every effort to catch the men. I appreciate it."

On Thursday, Tarannum had sensed trouble on her way back home and dialled the police helpline. The Mumbai Police were quick to respond to her call and ensured she reached home safely.

Top News