India has the largest number of heart ailments. 30 percent of deaths in Mumbai happen due to cardiovascular ailments, out of which ischemic heart disease tops the list. Unhealthy lifestyle is one of the major causes of heart ailments. So, it is high time that we, especially youngsters, keep a check on our health and look out for ways to lower the risk ailments that can lead to heart failure. Dr. Dev Pahlajani of Mumbai's Breach Candy Hospital shares 7 important measures to bring about a lifestyle change that will reduce the chance of heart ailments especially heart failure and heart attack:
1. Reduce stress: Financial burden, stress at workplace, such as meeting targets and reaching office on time are some major factors that lead to stress and adversely affect cardiovascular health. Look out for ways to reduce stress, like yoga and meditation, and keep your heart healthy.
2. Quit smoking: Tobacco is one of the most important causes of increased heart attacks. Quit smoking to benefit your heart and blood vessels.
3. Walking and meditation: One must walk for at least 5km a day. 20 km of walk every week lowers the risk of heart disease and contributes to a healthy heart. Like walking, yoga and meditation also lower the risk of developing heart disease.
4. Avoid junk food: Intake of junk food causes diabetes, obesity, and rise in cholesterol. Diabetes and obesity are common diseases that increase the risk of heart ailments. On the other hand, if cholesterol gets deposited in the arteries of the heart, arteries can get clocked and result in heart ailments.
5. Control diabetes: India is considered to be the world capital of diabetes. Reduce or if possible, quit consumption of unhealthy food, as it can increase the chance of developing heart disease. If diabetes is controlled by proper lifestyle management, then the rate of heart diseases will automatically drop down.
6. Prevent hypertension: The type of food that we eat, especially junk food, has a high amount of salt content. Food items with a high proportion of salt increase the risk of hypertension. Our body needs only 5 gm of salt but we tend to take 12-15 percent of salt. Cut down on salt intake to prevent hypertension.
7. Dietary changes: Including more of green vegetables, fruits, dry fruits like walnuts, almonds, salads, and lean meat will significantly lower the risk of cardiovascular disease like high blood pressure, heart failure, and heart attack. Our body needs 30 percent protein to retain a healthy heart. Keep a check on consumption of red meat. This is because red meat pushes up cholesterol and if cholesterol goes up, you will develop a heart attack. Finally, plan a diet which is less contains more protein and less fat and carbohydrate.
Watch the video to know more about causes of heart ailments and preventive measures